McHaffey Opera House
Irish immigrant David McHaffey built the McHaffey Opera House in 1891 in the thriving railroad town of Eldon, Iowa with brick from his own brickyard. The stately building sits in the center of town across from City Hall. In its heyday, the opera house was on the New York Circuit and all the latest plays and performances were brought to Eldon. Vaudeville acts, Shakespearean plays, local talent shows, political speeches and high school graduations made use of the popular auditorium. When silent films came into vogue, a projection room was added and another form of entertainment became available to the community.
In 1941, the last graduating class crossed the stage and in 1947 the last movie was shown. The auditorium then lay dormant for nearly 50 years until in 1995 a group of concerned citizens formed a nonprofit corporation to purchase, renovate and restore the building to become a community asset once again. The McHaffey Opera House is now listed on the National Register of Historic Places and is continually undergoing restoration. Fundraisers are held through the year to support the projects necessary to complete this endeavor.