The Wapello County Courthouse is located just north of Central Park on the northwest corner of Fourth and Court Streets.Built on the site of the original Wapello County courthouse, itwas designed by architects Foster and Liebbe in the Richardson Romanesque style - one of the more popular styles for courthouses of the time - using rusticated stone.
In 1950, the clock tower and turrets (pictured below) that characterize this style were removed, for structural reasons.
A statue of Wapello, the Fox chief for whom the county is named, looks out into the river valley from atop a front gable.
To visit the Wapello County website, click here.
Court St - Ottumwa, IA
- Historic Significance: Architecture/Engineering
- Architect, builder, or engineer: Stanfford,C., Foster & Liebbe
- Architectural Style: Other, Romanesque
- Area of Significance: Architecture
- Period of Significance: 1875-1899
- Owner: Local Gov't
- Historic Function: Government
- Historic Sub-function: Courthouse
- Current Function: Government
- Current Sub-function: Courthouse
It is on the National Register of Historic Places.