Partly cloudy · 82°

Military Records


Please contact our office with questions regarding filing DD-214s.  There is never a charge to record those.  Third-party vendors may charge a fee for this service which is not collected by our office.

How to request and receive a copy of military records

Military discharge papers (DD 214’s) may be filed in the Wapello County Recorder’s office. An original or certified copy is needed for filing purposes.

If you wish to request a certified copy of a military discharge, please complete and return the application. Please send a photocopy of your driver’s license if mailing. Entitlement has to be proven before a certified copy can be issued. There is no charge to record or obtain a certified copy of a military record.

Certified Copy of Military Records Application

Additional Resources

Veterans Affairs Director
Rachel Dolley
Wapello County Courthouse
114 E Main Street
Ottumwa Iowa 52501
Phone: (641) 684-8079